Montana Homeschool Laws

Homeschooling in Montana

How do I start homeschooling?

To start homeschooling in Montana, parents must:

Notify the county superintendent that your child is going to be homeschooled.

Maintain immunization and attendance records.

Make sure you teach the required subjects.

Provide instruction for the required amount of hours.

Comply with health and safety regulations in your homeschool.

Modify™ can help you with your tracking, portfolio and record keeping. Download the app today.  

Enjoying learning together! 

Homeschool Laws

According to Montana Code Annotated §20-5-102, “Except as provided in subsection (2), any parent, guardian, or other person who is responsible for the care of any child who is 7 years of age or older prior to the first day of school in any school fiscal year shall cause the child to be instructed in the program prescribed by the board of public education pursuant to 20-7-111 until the later of the following dates: (a) the child’s 16th birthday; or (b) the date of completion of the work of the 8th grade.”

One exception is for children “enrolled in a nonpublic or home school that complies with the provisions of 20-5-109. For the purposes of this subsection (2)(e), a home school is the instruction by a parent of the parent’s child, stepchild, or ward in the parent’s residence and a nonpublic school includes a parochial, church, religious, or private school” (Mont. Code Ann. §20-5- 102).

“A parent has the authority to instruct his child, stepchild, or ward in a home school and is solely responsible for: (1) the educational philosophy of the home school; (2) the selection of instructional materials, curriculum, and textbooks; (3) the time, place, and method of instruction; and (4) the evaluation of the home school instruction” (Mont. Code Ann, § 20-5-111).

Homeschool Requirements

Even though Montana does not highly regulate homeschooling, there are some Montana homeschool requirements you must satisfy when you homeschool:

  • Begin homeschooling by age 7.
  • “Notify the county superintendent of schools of the county in which the home school is located in each school fiscal year of the student’s attendance at the school” (Mont. Code Ann. §20-5-109).
  • “Maintain records on pupil attendance and disease immunization and make the records available to the county superintendent of schools on request” (Mont. Code Ann. §20-5-109).
  • “Provide at least the minimum aggregate hours of pupil instruction in accordance with 20-1-301 and 20-1-302” (Mont. Code Ann. §20-5-109). Per Mont. Code Ann. §20-1-301, “The minimum aggregate hours required by grade are: (a) 360 hours for a half-time kindergarten program or 720 hours for a full-time kindergarten program, as provided in 20-7-117; (b) 720 hours for grades 1 through 3; and (c) 1,080 hours for grades 4 through 12.” One exception is that “1,050 aggregate hours of pupil instruction for graduating seniors may be sufficient.”
  • Offer instruction “in a building that complies with applicable local health and safety regulations” (Mont. Code Ann. §20-5-109).
  • “Provide an organized course of study that includes instruction in the subjects required of public schools as a basic instructional program pursuant to 20-7-111” (Mont. Code Ann. §20-5-109). Be sure to review Montana’s Standards of Accreditation for the academic requirements of public schools.
  • Stay current with homeschooling laws and requirements.

Record Keeping

Montana homeschool laws only require parents to keep attendance and immunization records in case the superintendent requests them. However, many families like to keep track of their child’s progress and work completed by keeping homeschool portfolios. These can include things like grades, writing assignments, worksheets, art work or any other important documents and information.

If you have a high school student who plans on attending college, a high school transcript can be useful, and sometimes even necessary. To get specific information, be sure to inquire with individual  colleges and universities for their entrance requirements.

The Modify™ app makes record keeping simple and keeps all your records organized. 

Graduation requirements

Although families homeschooling in Montana are required to teach the same subjects that public schools teach, homeschooled students in the state do not receive the same high school diploma like their peers in public school.

Homeschoolers can earn a Montana High School Equivalency Diploma by passing the HiSET exam. If your child plans on receiving a post-secondary education, they may have to take the PSAT and SAT, so be sure to find out what each specific college or university requires.

Modify™ helps homeschoolers to keep all necessary records and transcripts. 


Montana Code Annotated §20-5-102
Mont. Code Ann, § 20-5-111

All information on this site is provided with no guarantee of accuracy. Modify™ is not responsible for any errors, omissions, or outdated information, or for the results yielded through use of this information.

Try Modify™ Free! We'll give you a 30 Day Risk Free Trial.

We are so confident you’ll love the Modify™ app, we are giving you a 30 day free trial. If you love it as much as we know you will, continue to use it for only $4.99/mo.

    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop