New Hampshire Homeschool Laws

Homeschooling in New Hampshire

How do I start homeschooling?

Homeschooling in New Hampshire? Here is what you need to know to get started. 

Send a letter of intent to homeschool to the principal of the school within 5 business days of beginning homeschooling.

Teach the required subjects

Keep detailed records.

Have all students evaluated annually.

Modify™ can help you with your tracking, portfolio and record keeping. Download the app today.  

Enjoying learning together! 

Homeschool Laws

According to New Hampshire Revised Statute 193:1:

“I. A parent of any child at least 6 years of age and under 18 years of age shall cause such child to attend the public school to which the child is assigned in the child’s resident district. Such child shall attend full time when such school is in session unless:

  • The child is attending a New Hampshire public school outside the district to which the child is assigned or an approved New Hampshire private school for the same time;
  • The child is receiving home education pursuant to RSA 193-A and is therefore exempt from this requirement;
  • The relevant school district superintendent has excused a child from attendance because the child is physically or mentally unable to attend school, or has been temporarily excused upon the request of the parent for purposes agreed upon by the school authorities and the parent.
  • The child is attending a public or private school located in another state which has been approved by the state education agency of the state in which the school is located, or is attending a nonsectarian private school located in New Hampshire that is approved as a school tuition program by the school board pursuant to RSA 193:3, VII;
  • The pupil has been exempted from attendance pursuant to RSA 193:5;
  • The pupil has successfully completed all requirements for graduation and the school district is prepared to issue a diploma or the pupil has successfully achieved the equivalent of a high school diploma by either:
    • (1) Obtaining a high school equivalency certificate; or
    • (2) Documenting the completion of a home school program at the high school level by submitting a certificate or letter to the department of education;
  • The pupil has been accepted into an accredited postsecondary education program; or
  • The pupil obtains a waiver from the superintendent, which shall only be granted upon proof that the pupil is 16 years of age or older and has an alternative learning plan for obtaining either a high school diploma or its equivalent.
  1. A child who reaches the sixth birthday after September 30 shall not be required to attend school under the provisions of this section until the following school year.”

“Home education is an alternative to attendance at a public or private school and is an individualized form of instruction” (Ed315). “Dates and hours of instruction shall not be required to coincide with the resident district calendar. The academic term of a home education program shall not be required to coincide with the resident district academic year” (Ed315). Note that “no superintendent, school board, school principal, or other school district official shall propose, adopt, or enforce any policy or procedure governing home educated pupils that is inconsistent with or more restrictive than the provisions of this chapter [RSA 193-A] and any rules adopted pursuant to RSA 193-A:3” (RSA 193-A:11).

Homeschool Requirements

Even though New Hampshire does not highly regulate homeschooling, there are some New Hampshire homeschool requirements you must satisfy when you homeschool:

  • Begin homeschooling by age 6.
  • File the required Notification of Home Education Program form prior to beginning homeschooling.
  • Teach the required subjects of “science, mathematics, language, government, history, health, reading, writing, spelling, the history of the constitutions of New Hampshire and the United States, and an exposure to and appreciation of art and music” (RSA 193-A:4).
  • Complete annual educational evaluations to document progress (with the support of the participating agency).
  • File the Notice of Completion of a Home Education Program if your child under the age of 18 has completed the home education program at the high school level.
  • Stay current with homeschooling laws and requirements.

Do I need to administer testing to my homeschooler?

Yes. According to RSA 193-A:6, “The parent shall provide for an annual educational evaluation in which is documented the child’s demonstration of educational progress at a level commensurate with the child’s age and ability. The child shall be deemed to have successfully completed his annual evaluation upon meeting the requirements of any one of the following:

  • A certified teacher or a teacher currently teaching in a nonpublic school who is selected by the parent shall evaluate the child’s educational progress upon review of the portfolio and discussion with the parent or child;
  • The child shall take any national student achievement test, administered by a person who meets the qualifications established by the provider or publisher of the test. Composite results at or above the fortieth percentile on such tests shall be deemed reasonable academic proficiency;
  • The child shall take a state student assessment test used by the resident district. Composite results at or above the fortieth percentile on such state test shall be deemed reasonable academic proficiency; or
  • The child shall be evaluated using any other valid measurement tool mutually agreed upon by the parent and the commissioner of education, resident district superintendent, or nonpublic school principal.” These may include (but are not limited to) any of the following: “a. Interview; b. Educational progress in a particular curriculum as measured by the parent; c. Educational progress in a particular curriculum as measured by the provider; d. Review of the child’s portfolio by a participating agency; e. Evaluation by a teacher in a program recognized by any state department of education; or f. Specially prepared tests or evaluations measuring educational progress in a particular subject or curriculum” (Ed315).

If a review of the child’s portfolio is being used for evaluation, ““The contents of the portfolio shall […] include the following:

  • The name and address of the teacher, including state recognized documentation of certification or the name and address of the nonpublic school in which the teacher is currently teaching;
  • The date(s) on which the evaluation(s) took place; 
  • A description of the work reviewed;
  • A summary of the child’s educational progress in the home education program concluding with a statement that the child has or has not made educational progress; and
  • The signatures of the teacher and the parent” (Ed315).

What happens to my child’s annual evaluation results?

“The results of the evaluation: 

  • May be used to demonstrate the child’s academic proficiency in order to participate in public school programs, and co-curricular activities which are defined as school district-sponsored and directed athletics, fine arts, and academic activities. Home educated students shall be subject to the same participation policy and eligibility conditions as apply to public school students.
  • Shall not be used as a basis for termination of a home education program.
  • Provides a basis for a constructive relationship between the parent and the evaluator, both working together in the best interest of the child” (RSA 193-A:4).

What records do I need to keep when I homeschool my child?

According to RSA 193-A:6, “The parent shall maintain a portfolio of records and materials relative to the home education program. The portfolio shall consist of a log which designates by title the reading materials used, and also samples of writings, worksheets, workbooks, or creative materials used or developed by the child. Such portfolio shall be preserved by the parent for 2 years from the date of the ending of the instruction.” Parents are also required to maintain copies of the annual educational evaluations.

In addition to the required portfolio and evaluation documents, we also recommend you do some personal recordkeeping to provide verification of education in the event you would need to show some form of educational proof to the state or other legal entities or to prepare for re-entry into public school or postsecondary pathways. This includes the following:

  • Attendance
  • Immunization records
  • Other test and evaluation results
  • Correspondence with school officials

You may also be able to find more information on New Hampshire homeschool requirements through your local school district.

Record Keeping

New Hampshire homeschooling parents are required to create an annual portfolio of student work samples for all children. These must be saved for a period of 2 years following the final day of instruction.

Parents must also save a copy of each student’s year end evaluation. If you decide to enroll your child in a public or private school, these help to place your child in an appropriate grade level.

Also, if you have a high school student who plans on attending college, a high school transcript is essential.

The Modify™ app makes record keeping simple and keeps all your records organized. 

Graduation requirements

graduation requirements in New Hampshire are determined by the parents. The NHDE requires no graduation-specific testing or evaluation. 

Modify™ helps homeschoolers to keep all necessary records and transcripts. 


New Hampshire Revised Statute 193:1
RSA 193-A
RSA 193:3, VII
RSA 193:5

Notification of Home Education Program
Notice of Completion of a Home Education Program


Note: All information on this site is provided with no guarantee of accuracy. Modify™ is not responsible for any errors, omissions, or outdated information, or for the results yielded through use of this information. 

Try Modify™ Free! We'll give you a 30 Day Risk Free Trial.

We are so confident you’ll love the Modify™ app, we are giving you a 30 day free trial. If you love it as much as we know you will, continue to use it for only $4.99/mo.

    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop